Saturday, March 9, 2013

Prodigal Son Part II

You've no doubt read the story of the prodigal son where the son gets his inheritance from his father (while dad's alive), and squanders it.  He returns home expecting to live as a servant, but his father fetches him a robe and gold ring, calls for a fatted calf to be butchered and celebrates his son's return.  Here's how I believe that story could have continued:


A few days after the prodigal son came home, he sneaks out of his father's house, runs down to the local pawn shop, pawns the robe and his new gold ring, takes the money and spends it on drugs and women. Once the money's gone (evidently it was a pretty nice robe and ring)...and the son (I'll call him Steve, you can call him Whoever You Want) wakes up hung-over in the streets, he realizes what a fool he's been and wanders back to his father's house, only to have it play out exactly as the first time...the father comes running out no less enthused than the first time, gives him a new robe, a new ring, has another fatted calf killed, and the father celebrates that his son is back.

 


A couple of weeks later, the same scenario plays out, the son sneaks out, sells his ring and robe, and shoots up, only to return home naked a few days later. And his father runs out to greet him, gets him a new robe, new ring, shouts for the fatted calf, and another celebration ensues.

 


The story repeats so that you'd think you're living Groundhog Day. The son keeps leaving, failing, and returning, gets new clothes and a celebration.

 


So one time after being accepted back home yet again, the son asks the father, "How many times will you take me back? When's your patience with me going to end?" And the father leads the son by the arm through his mansion to a long series of doors with names on them. He opens the one with my name on it and it's a walk-in closet. Inside is rack after rack after rack, all with hangers holding thousands and thousands of robes. All are my size.

 


On the wall is a huge dresser with dozens of large drawers. He opens a couple of drawers. They are filled with gold rings. My size.

 


He leads me to a window where I look out over his ranch and I see a part of his herd of livestock. He says, "Look at me. Why do you think I own the cattle on a thousand hills?" 
 


"You ask how many times I'll take you back. Here's my answer: How many do you need?"



 

No comments:

Post a Comment